Friday, November 02, 2007

G-Tube?????????????????????







Kind of a quick post here . We ended up having our developmental clinic on Wed and it started out super!! We saw our favorite nurse Diana and Caitlin was totally showing off. She was so cute using alot of her words and saying thank you and byeeeee I was really proud of her and just couldn't stop smiling.We saw some of our other nurses to and that was really great!!!
So Caitlin is measuring pretty good on most stuff. I have the paper but don;t have it right here. then we get the Dr evaluation. Not so good. She looks great and is great but the thing is that the Dr said she is still way to little and she has a small head(well yeah can't have big head for little body , but whatever) Anyway she suggested we see a nutritionist and possibly get an endocrine test done(OK whoa lady) I discussed this with our ped and he said lets do nutritionist first and then we can go to the next step(he thinks nothing is wrong as for as endocrine goes right now) Anyway also another suggestion is we might possibly have to get G-Tube to give some extra calories. I have mixed feelings about this. One part is like well ok if she doesn't want to eat at least I can get calories in her but then another part of me is like no way this is going to set her back possibly. and this is a major surgery. We have an appointment with our Gastro Dr on Tuesday so we will know the verdict then or what the real next step is.
So here is the wight stats
19 lbs 11 oz and 31 inches long. yes a little peanut but darn it she has energy like no other!!!! ok so this was suppose to be short!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just reading your blog. I wanted to comment about the weight. Aiden, my son, is currently almost 2 1/2. He weighs 22 lbs 4 oz. He was a 32 weeker born at 3 lbs exactly. His weight has been a struggle forever. He was IUGR due to my severe preeclampsia, so I am not sure how much of that has to do with his current small size. He has had all sorts of testing done, all comes back normal. He does not really care to eat, never has. Really he never drank more than 4 oz of formula at a time. Even still now he drinks pediasure, out of a bottle so we can get extra calories in him. Occasionally he will surprise us and drink 6-8 oz, but usually it is a standard 4.

I would love to get extra calories in him as well, but he has never been dx'ed with any sort of eating disorder. Part of it is he has asthma, and any little slight cold just sends him into a tailspin. So we are looking at this issue from now until June.

Aiden did have heart surgery at a year for a double aortic arch, a rare heart defect, where he had two aortic arches rather than one (he still does have two, always will). Basically his esophagus and trachea were compressed between these two arches, and until the problem was found around a year, he vomited 15 or more times a day.

AGain, I know he was a 32 weeker, which is of course a gigantic difference from 24 weeks--my child may has well have been full term compared to that! Though he did spend 6 weeks in the NICU.

Anway, I am not sure what the point of this whole long message is, except that there are many many preemies that suffer from weight gain issues. I guess unless she has major eating problems, I would avoid the tube, for the reasons you said, and from what I understand it just makes eating worse in the long run.

It is frustrating! All 3 of my children have had some sort of issue with weight gain. My son Alex will be 6 in January, and he weighs 38 lbs. He was adopted from Russia and was a healthy full term almost 8 pound baby. My daughter was a month early, and was always very skinny until she hit about 5. Now she is average.